Thursday, October 7, 2010

That's Who I'd Be

A sweet musical all should listen to is Shrek the Musical. It's full of awesome music, much different from the "Disney on ice" type of things you'd picture from the title given. There is a song sung by Shrek shortly after princess Fiona is saved entitled "That's who I'd be". It's an inspiring song where Shrek expresses his desire to be something other than an Ogre. The lyrics are at the end of this entry if any are interested in reading them. Anyways, what does this have to do with teaching? Well keep reading and I'll connect the two.

Today I went and visited Mr. John Moss, a video broadcasting and journalism teacher at Wasatch High School in Heber City. Home of the Wasps (their school pride is displayed so much and mentioned so many times I'm rather surprised there wasn't an active Wasps Nest in the main corridor). Mr. Moss' Video Broadcasting classroom was quite amazing. I honestly expected to see a simple green screen, a camera or two, a desk, and a couple computers for editing videos, because that's about all my school had. I was rather surprised to find that it was as close to a real news production studio as you can get without being NBC. What was most inspiring to me was the story of his program from when he started to where it is now. When he started he had basically what i mentioned my high school as having, but there was a goal, to be on an equal standing as Kearrn High School's news broadcasting studio. I haven't seen that studio, but I feel safe to say they are there, and possibly beyond. Mr. Moss realized that not all teaching is about throwing information and making students memorize it. His purpose was to teach by jumping into the real thing, or as close to it as you can get. His idea of teaching is to take the desired ending product and prepare the students for it by practicing, not reciting broadcasting history or having students write papers on various news reporters.

As a teacher I will probably be placed in a classroom that is not my ideal classroom. It will probably not have all the equipment I need, it will probably lack software, it will probably even lack a well designed program by the previous teacher, but that doesn't mean I have to let it stay that way. Like Shrek, I have a dream, but my dream reaches far beyond myself, but to my program. My dream is to build. To look into the lives of those I'll teach and to not be content with letting the world progress and letting my program stay the same. I want my program to be like Mr. Moss', ever growing, ever improving. Preparing students for careers and colleges, introducing students to real businesses that do the things I teach about, and giving students assignments and projects that provide real application. That's who I'd be. Similar to how Shrek couldn't change the fact that he is an ogre, there are things about me that I can't change, but like Shrek, Those things don't define my abilities or the type of person I can be or do. With time I hope to be able to create a technology program in my high school that other schools will envy.


"That's Who I'd Be" - From Shrek The Musical
I guess I’d be a hero, With sword and armor clashing
Looking semi dashing, A shield within my grip
Or else I’d be a Viking, and live a life of daring
While smelling like a herring, upon a Viking ship.
I’d sail away, I’d see the world, I’d reach the farthest reaches
I’d feel the wind, I’d taste the salt and sea.
And maybe storm some beaches.
That’s who I’d be. That’s who I’d be.
Or I would be a poet, and write a different story,
One that tells of glory, and wipes away the lies
And to the skies I’d throw it, the stars would do the telling
The moon would help with spelling, and night would dot the ‘I’s
I’d write my verse, Recite my joke, it’d fit in perfect timing.
I’d share my heart, confess the things I learn, and do it all while rhyming.
But we all learn. But we all learn.

An Ogre always hides, an Ogre's fate is known
An Ogre always stays in the dark and all alone

So yes I’d be a hero and if my wish was granted
Life would be enchanted, or so the stories say.
Of course I’d be a hero, and I would scale a tower
And save a hot-house flower, and carry her away
But standing guard there’d be a beast, I’d somehow over whelm it,
I’d get the girl, I’d take my breath, and I’d remove my helmet.

We’d stand and stare, we’d speak of love, we’d feel the stars ascending
We’d share a kiss, I’d find my destiny
I’d have a hero’s ending, a perfect happy ending.
That’s how it would be
A big bright beautiful world

But not for me.

[Fiona]
An ogre always hides. An ogres fate is know. An ogre always stays

[Donkey]
In the dark and all alone

[Fiona]
All Alone

(All at the same time)

[Shrek]
So yes i'd be a hero, and if my wish was granted my life would be enchanted or so the stories say.
Of course I'd be a hero and I would scale a tower to save a
haukhouse flower and carry her away!
[Fiona]
There are rules and there are strictures. I belive the storie books i read by candle light
[Donkey]
Don't let me go, Don't let me go, Don't let me go
[All]
A perfect happy ending, thats how.... it.. should be!

No comments:

Post a Comment