Saturday, October 30, 2010

Learning From Your Mistakes

I had a great opportunity to teach this week. It was a good learning experience. I've had teaching experiences in the past, but usually the topic is broad. This time I was given 20 minutes to create a lesson plan based on recognizing that new technologies introduce new words, icons, images, acronyms, and sounds. It was a long time to talk about such a simple topic. That's where I had the hardest time. How do I make this lesson last 20 minutes? I went to school scared to teach because the lesson plan I originally made involved a fun activity that I realized had nothing to do with my topic and more to do with Amy's topic, and try as I did, I could figure out how to twist the topic enough to involve the activity still, so I scrapped the activity 12 hours before the lesson and had an incredibly difficult time preparing the lesson from there on. minutes before I was to teach I threw a few more ideas on to a piece of paper and did the best I could. It went much better than I anticipated but not as good as I'd have liked.
Feedback:
1. Stick to a central purpose/topic. I introduced a few things that had some relevance, but distracted from the central purpose.
2. use the room. It was pointed out that I used the computer kind of like a crutch, and it's true. Though that wasn't my intent, I definitely was close to my notes because I wasn't adequately prepared.
3. "We Got It". Later that day someone in the class asked me if I wanted a little more advice, I welcomed it and she said something I said to myself on my mission "We Got It", or in other words, move on. I have a tendency to hit a point several times and repeat my self over and over again. With this lesson it was more because I didn't know what to do with it, but still, in my normal teaching situations I tend to say something several times... I don't really even know why, I just do. Kind of like umm's, people often don't even know they're doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment